Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Book Blogging

On his radio show, Dave Ramsey often sites a book by Dan Miller called 48 Days To The Work You Love. He recommends the book because he believes that people will be more successful if they're doing a job that they enjoy.

Well, one of the things that I enjoy is reading. But you can't make money doing that, can you? Actually, it turns out that you can. I came across an interesting new book that was relevant to the topic of another blog that I write for. I emailed the publisher to ask for a review copy...and you know what? They sent me one.

I read the book, reviewed it on my blog, included an Amazon Associates link and got paid $1 for every book that was purchased at Amazon. Then, I sold the book in Amazon's Marketplace for $13.5o.

My total take on the thing was only about $15, but it was a book that I wanted to read anyway. So, instead of paying $20-$25 to read it, I earned $15 by reviewing it. By my math, that's coming out $35-$40 ahead for minimal extra work.

Are you a blogger? Is there a newly released book that you want to read? What's the worst they can say? Go for it!